You “should” be on Facebook. And Twitter. And Linkedin. And Google+. And Medium. And and and…
It seems there’s a new social network coming out every minute and sometimes it can be confusing where to invest your time and energy.
By the time you figure out how to set up an account, post some content and start optimising, the new kid is in town claiming that you need to be on their platform.
And soon enough, you are so overwhelmed that you just give up altogether, especially when there’s no correlation between your efforts and the results they generate.
I’ve got good news though (because giving up is not the answer).
It is indeed very possible to track your ROI from your social media.
Here are the three steps you need to take to make sure you can see where your efforts, energy, time and money go and what results they generate:
- Track it
- You need to be specific about what you post in which platforms.
- For example, if your customers are more present on Twitter then on Linkedin, you need to know that so that you won’t waste your time trying to figure out Linkedin.
- You can do this in a technical way by utilising special links to the posts across platforms so you know where your new customers and web site visitors are coming from.
- Use a service like bit.ly or Prettylink to pinpoint exactly what is working for you.
- To give you an example, the Born To Influence podcast uses Prettlylink to track when they post about their new episodes.
- They’ve been able to determine that 80% of their listeners come through Twitter, and only 20% from iTunes, Stitcher Radio, Facebook and their web site combined!
- Get rid of what doesn’t work.
- Once you started accurately tracking and you see where the results coming from, you’ll see where it’s worth spending your time and efforts.
- The next step is to get rid of what’s not working for you.
- For example, if you’re not getting any new leads from Google+, don’t worry about having a presence on that network.
- Scale up what does work
- Having the clarity and knowing what generates real results will also give you the ability to calculate your ROI (return on investment).
- That way, you’ll be able to focus your attention and your advertising dollars on what actually works.
- One of our clients has generated over $100,000 in sales in just a few months because of this focused strategy.
- We determined that Facebook was the platform that generated the best returns and scaled their marketing on the network accordingly.
I’d love for you to have a similar success story and get even better results.
To get started, follow the steps outlined above. And if you’d like help with implementing this strategy, just reach out to us at 1300 680 223.